Monday, March 22, 2010

Bear the Dint

If you ever find yourself in a dollar store, go to the toy section and look at the names of the toys. They're usually translated from another language and it's almost impossible to figure out what they were trying to say. My dad and I first noticed this at a store in Tucson, where they had the same fishing set I found the other day and a "pugilism gun" which was a boxing glove on a "gun" that juts outward when you pull the trigger. That one makes sense if you know what pugilism means, but "The Bear The Dint Fishing Challenge" is beyond me. Bear the Dint? How do I bear the dint? The Oxford English Dictionary defines dint as such, "n. a dent. By dint of = by means of." So the bear the dint would be to carry, support, or endure a dent, or to endure by means of. So we are possibly enduring the fish by means of the fishing pole.

If you look behind the pole, you will see three points these advertisers have made, possibly trying to show the things you will learn while using the bear the dint fishing challenge. They are,

  • Patience
  • Wait For
  • Fast
These are basic things any fisher person should know. Not that I would word them that way. And I really don't think these fish are going to be difficult to catch.

After so much confusing language, it is comforting to know that even if we have no idea how to bear the dint, at least we know this is a lovely fishing set.


2 comments:

  1. They're always making pugilism sets! I think they only have one English dictionary in Korea, and it's from 1930 or something.

    Also, your profile at the right has inspired me to write on outgoingness. We should do a joint tirade. I'll post it tonight and we can link'em together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll come up with something that will make sense to link to your post. Today was not fruitful intellectually. The wind bothers my mind.

    ReplyDelete