Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things I will miss in Brooklyn

I just walked to the grocery store to get some chicken, jelly, bread, jiffy mix, and jello. The store smells like a pet store. It's so gross. I also left because my neighbors are listening to their awful music again and I can't deal with it so I had to get out. On my way to the store I took some pictures of my favorite things within a few blocks of where I live. I'm going to miss this stuff. I'm sure at some point I'll make time to come back and walk around again. Maybe when it's not snowing.

So here are the things I like about my hood.


1. Franklin Avenue Shuttle. It is across the street and from there I can get anywhere. I literally have to walk across the street to get anywhere the subway goes, anywhere metro north goes, or anywhere any of those other trains I've never taken go. Plus it's got a pretty interesting history, which you can read about here. That page also has info on some of the other things I'm including.



2. This semi-creepy old building that no one lives in but still has a bunch of crap in it. Can you imagine what you might find in there? I imagine there are probably lots of old magazines and records, some funky furniture from the 70's, maybe some drug paraphernalia, and even a dead body or two. The sign you can't see in this picture says "Deliveries." I like that they make deliveries.

3. The "Public Elephant". That's what Mike and I call it. The Public Elephant is a government office which can be held by anyone willing to run, but usually goes to an elephant. This is Brooklyn's Public Elephant. He is the finest one yet and has lowered tusk tax by 5%

4. Mint green pointy house. Around Christmas they had this huge plastic internally lit nativity scene on the ledge of the lower window. It's also the only house that is colorful around here. The one next to it is yellow, but that's nowhere near as tasty looking.















5. The Heinz Building. It's a neat looking ketchup colored building a few streets away from where we live. If some developer hadn't built some really awful still vacant apartments right outside our bedroom window I would be able to see this instead. And the old buildings that are attached to it that I love so much.

6. The hallway in our building. It is sooooo ugly since they painted parts of it gold. Mike was coming in one evening and overheard this conversation between a little girl and her mom.

Little girl: "Mom, why did they paint those things gold?"
Mom: "'Cause some people like like ugly shit."

1 comment:

  1. Nola told me about your blog and what a terrific writer you are. I told her I knew that! but hadn't seen your blog. Love it! Keep writing. Thanks for the nice note about me.

    ReplyDelete